Fact Sheets and Educational Bulletins
- Farm Stress and Decision Making During Challenging Times -- A comprehensive piece on farm stress and stress management practices related to communication, planning, education, personal health, nutrition, etc. Also contains a top-ten list of important safety-related reminders because of the connection between farm injury and stress.
- Helping Tame Farm Stress - a Top Ten List - A basic piece for helping professionals (rural leaders, ag finance, consultants, service providers, feed salespeople, vets, educators, etc.). How to help a farmer/family member regain a sense of control and hope when the stress response becomes overwhelming and incapacitates decision making.
- Case Study - The McHenry Farm: Our Brains on Stress - A combined story of about a dozen actual situations and scenarios from places like Wisconsin, Minnesota, and Indiana - A typical few days in the life of a farm family showing both the obvious acute impacts of stress, the damaging impacts of chronic stress and depression, and the outcomes on health, safety, children, communication and relationships.
- Throttle Back on Stress - Commentary in Wisconsin Agriculturist magazine. compares the stress response to the fuel system on a farm tractor. Knowing "where the throttle is" can make a difference in our responses to tough times.
- Is Stress Wearing You Out? - Story by Brittany Olson in Dairy Star, on impacts of long hours, fatigue, and stress.
- Helping Tame Farm Stress - Wisconsin State Farmer newspaper. Contains information on goal-setting and planning.
- Farm Stress: Something to Fear? Or, a Call to Action? - from Wisconsin Agriculturist magazine. Talks about important work done here at UW-Madison and highlights of TED Talk by Kelly McGonigal on framing of stress and using the response as a call to act and connect with loved ones and community.
- Stress Has an Impact on Dairy Farmers - In Dairy Herd Management magazine. Similar to "Challenging Times document above.
- Power Down the Stress Cycle - by my friend Cheryl Tevis of Successful Farming.
- Pull Together in Times of Stress - by Jane Fyksen of Agri-View
- Stress Relief - a Phone Call Away
Additional info is available by request.
- Our Brain on Stress - Original 2017 presentation used with 15+ groups around Midwest/U.S. (has since been modified)
Photos used on this page under exclusive licence agreement with Shutterstock. You may use ANY linked document in your work, but photos on this page should not be used without express permission.